1. Black Decker 20V
CHECK THE PRICE NOW
2. Black Decker 40V
CHECK THE PRICE NOW
CHECK THE PRICE NOW
If you are a garden owner, you have a blessing to cherish, but it can be a really tedious task to keep your trees and hedges trimmed.
Trimmed landscape looks attractive and well-maintained, and adds to the overall beauty and appeal of your garden, but actually doing it requires a lot of time and physical effort. So, in order to make the task simple and easy, all that you need to do is to purchase a hedge trimmer.
Best hedge trimmer is the one that is meant to trim your shrubs and hedges without taking much of your energy and time.
In the following section of this article, you will be offered a brief insight into some of the major aspects pertaining to hedge trimmers. Besides, you will be also offered reviews on some of the best lawn care tool products available in the market.
An Electric or Petrol Hedge Trimmer – Which Is The Best Option
When it comes to hedge trimmers, there are primarily 2 different types of them available in the market: electric hedge trimmers and petrol hedge trimmers. The primary difference between them is the type of fuel used for their operation. Let’s know more about these two trimmer types in detail.
1. Petrol Hedge Trimmers: As its name implies, a petrol hedge trimmer has a fuel tank that you have to fill with petrol to make it operational. These are very powerful machines that are ideal for trimming very long, tall or dense hedges.
2. Electric Hedge Trimmers: An electric cordless hedge trimmer is powered by electricity. It usually contains a battery that has to be charged before it can be used to trim the hedges.
The reasons as to why they are preferred by most over petrol-driven ones include the fact that they generate very little noise, and at the same time, they do not come with other kinds of hazards, like fuel leakages, difficulty in handling, and other drawbacks that are normally associated with the ones run by petrol.
Besides, as far as maintenance is concerned, these trimmers are very cost effective. The fact that they can be operated with the help of a remote makes life much easier for you.
Factors To Consider While Buying A Hedge Trimmer
If you are planning to buy a hedge trimmer, then here are a few important aspects that you need to take into consideration:
There are different types of hedge trimmers that are available in the market. Their price depends on various factors, like their efficiency, quality of motor, quality of blade, features, ease of operation, brand name, and others.
If you are looking for a cheap hedge trimmer, then there are plenty of options available in the market, which cost as low as $30. On the contrary, there are trimmers that can be as expensive as $500! The expensive hedge trimmers usually run on petrol and they come with excellent qualities of blades which offer more efficient trimming.
It is the type and amount of power in a hedge trimmer that makes it powerful. The ones which are powered by petrol are usually considered to be more powerful than the electric ones.
The amount of voltage generated also plays an important role in determining the power of a trimmer. Trimmers with higher voltage power are capable of handling tougher vegetation easily and offer more efficient trimming as opposed to the cheap ones available in the market.
The size of the hedges is an important factor which you should consider while choosing the amount of power required for your trimmer.
3. Blade Type
Hedge trimmers are available with different types of blades, most common being single and double sided blade hedge trimmers.
Besides, you also need to take into consideration as to how far the teeth of the blade are apart from one another. The teeth of the blade play a major role in determining the efficiency of a trimmer. When it comes to trimmers which have blades on one side, they are considered to be safer and are also easier to use.
However, if you are looking to speed up the process of trimming, then the ones with double sided blades would just be the perfect option for you.
Hedge trimmers are available in different sizes and lengths. The longer ones can be a bit difficult to manage, and they are not the best option if you have a tight space to work in. However, trimming becomes easy with these long trimmers.
But if you are new to trimming, then it is advisable that you use a shorter length trimmer, as it would be safer for your untrained hands.
Hedge trimmers are available in different weights too. It is recommended to go for the ones which are lighter in terms of weight, but they may not be as efficient as their heavier counterparts.
So, if you have a small garden to work on, then a light weight option would be the best hedge trimmer for your purpose. But if you want to handle a heavy-duty trimming job, then go for a heavier and sturdier trimmer.
While buying a hedge trimmer, it is very important for you to make sure that you read the manufacturer instructions properly. There, you will find all the important tips to keep your trimmer maintained and make it last long.
Make sure that the instructions mentioned are easy to manage, and do not demand a lot of time, effort and money from you. Besides, you can also cut down on the maintenance expenses, if you follow these instructions properly.
Another important thing that you must keep in mind is the manufacturer of the trimmer you are planning to buy. Remember that the brand and quality of the trimmer plays an important role while determining its performance.
So, it is always recommended to go for a reputed brand if you are planning to buy a hedge trimmer.
You can take recommendations from your acquaintances who are already using a hedge trimmer in their garden. You may also read online reviews to find the best hedge trimmer that has satisfied majority of its users.
If you are looking for the best hedge clippers, then there are plenty of different options available in the market. In the following section, you will be offered a brief overview on the 20 best hedge trimmers available out there.
Top 20 Best Hedge Trimmers 2020
1. (LHT2220B) 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Black Decker
This is an extremely efficient device when it comes to trimming hedges. It comes with dual action blades that are capable of cutting branches with very little vibration. It comes with a very powerful 20V lithium battery that lasts for a long period of time.
It is capable of cutting thick branches in a very quick time. The 22 inch dual action blades offer extended reach to the user. This product comes with a minimum warranty period of 2 years. It is a great buy for less than $60 without battery.
- Great battery life
- 22 inch blades
- Affordable price tag
- Clean design
- Well known brand
- None so far
2. (LHT2436) 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Black Decker
With powerful 40V rechargeable battery, this particular trimmer can operate efficiently for a long period of time. It comes with 24 inches dual action blades which causes very little amount of vibration.
The blade of this trimmer is capable of cutting ¾ inches thick branches. Therefore, it is the best option for you, if you are looking to trim your shrubs, hedges and bushes.
The full wrap handle offers a firm grip on the machine. Costing around $125, you get the trimmer, along with the battery and charger in the package.
- Well known brand
- Comes with a battery and charger
- 24 inch large blades
- None so far
3. (22272) 40V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer from Greenworks
This trimmer offers the perfect solution if you wish to keep your garden in shape. It comes with dual action 20 inch blades made of solid steel, which are very strong and durable. It comes with shaft extension features that offer easy control over the device and makes the process of trimming quite smooth and fast.
The head can be adjusted in 3 positions to trim in different angles. The extended handle helps in maintaining a safe distance between the hedges and the user. The 40V rechargeable lithium battery that comes with the device makes it run for a long period of time on a single charge.
- Impressive battery life
- Can be adjusted for 3 different positions
- Rechargeable battery
- Durable product
- None so far
4. (DCHT820P1) Dewalt Hedge Trimmer
This hedge trimmer comes with a 20V powerful lithium battery which is rechargeable and offers an extended run time. This particular trimmer is made in China and has proven to be very efficient when it comes to offering smooth and efficient trimming of hedges.
The dual switches offer additional features to this product, which makes it effective and safe at the same time.
- Dual switches
- Smooth and efficient trimming
- Extended runtime
- Not as powerful
5. (HT04B00) Corded Hedge Trimmer from Greenworks
This trimmer comes with a very powerful motor that runs on a 4 amp electricity. As a result, it generates enough power to get the job done efficiently. 22-Inch dual action steel blade is one of the main attractions of this trimmer, as it can easily cut through branches which are as much as 8 inches thick.
Therefore, hedges and bushes can be easily trimmed using their powerful tool. The rear handle allows the device to rotate in multiple angles. It also comes with cord lock features to prevent accidents. Definitely a great purchase for less than $50.
- Affordable choice for the budget
- 22 inch blades
- Can cut branches as much as 8 inches thick
- Battery life could be somewhat battery
6. (22122) 22-Inch Dual-Action Corded Hedge Trimmer from Greenworks
This trimmer comes with a very powerful motor that is capable of generating enough force to cut through 8 inches of thickness. It comes with strong and durable 22 inch dual blades that are capable of offering optimum performance.
The blades of the trimmer are sharp enough to cut through almost all kinds of bushes and hedges. Moreover, it can be adjusted into multiple angles for trimming in different directions. This trimmer comes with additional safety mechanism of cord lock to prevent unexpected unplugging.
- 22 inch blades
- Safety mechanism cord lock
- Cuts through all kinds of bushes and hedges
- Runtime could be higher
7. (BEHT100) Hedge Trimmer from Black Decker
One of the main features of this trimmer is the fact that it causes minimum amount of vibration while working. It comes with a 3.0 amp motor that is capable of generating enough power to cut through a thickness of up to 8 inches.
It is capable of generating almost 3500 strokes per minute. The fact that this machine is very light in weight makes it extremely easy to handle and operate. It comes with cord retention feature that adds to its security.
It’s an excellent buy in less than $40.
- Great in the price range
- Minimum vibration
- Generates almost 3500 strokes per minute
- Compact size not suitable for all types of uses
8. (LHT321FF) 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Black Decker
This trimmer comes with a power lithium battery that generates 20 volt of power and offers an extended period of run time. It generates very less amount of vibration due to its 22 inches dual action blade. It is capable of cutting branches which are 3/4 inches thick.
It offers a solid grip which makes it easier for the user to maneuver around. It delivers great value and performance with less vibration and better grip over the handle.
- Solid grip
- 22 inch dual action blades
- Less vibration
- Cannot cut very thick branches like some other models
9. (WG255.1) 20V Electric Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Worx
This is a very light weighted trimmer that can be easily handled and moved from one place to another. The powerful motor generates enough force to cut through thick branches easily. It comes with a D-grip front handle, which makes it easier to cut from either side.
The 20 V rechargeable battery offers an extended runtime. The dual cutting blade action makes minimum noise and fuss during operation. Since the battery is compatible with all your 20V PowerShare WORX tools, you can also buy it for less without a battery and charger.
- Rechargeable battery
- Extended run time
- Also available for cheaper without battery
- D Grip handle
- Could be more powerful
10. Makita (XHU02Z) 18V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
It comes with an anti-vibration structure that makes it easier for the user to work with thick hedges and bushes. There are 5 cushions near the motor to minimize vibration. It has thick and strong blades that offer accurate and precision cutting.
One of the most striking features of this trimmer is the fact that it generates very little noise during operation, which means you can trim your hedges conveniently even if you have a nagging neighbor.
The Makita motor integrated in it gives 2,700 SPM that offer very fast cutting speed. The Star Protection Computer control feature protects the device against over-discharging, over-heating and overloading.
- Cordless design
- Very fast cutting
- Does not create a lot of noise
- Could be somewhat cheaper
11. (HJ604C) Cordless 2-in-1 Grass Shear and Hedge Trimmer from Sun Joe
If you are a small garden owner, then this 2 in 1 grass shear and hedge trimmer is the perfect option for you. With 7.2 V lithium charged battery, this trimmer can go on for a long period of time.
Its light weight makes it easier for the user to move it around and operate freely. The blades are made of high quality steel, which offers them strength and durability. The ergonomically designed handle gives you a firmer and more comfortable grip.
Available in five different colors, order the one of your choice in less than $32.
- Light weight product
- 2 in 1 grass shear
- Great for small gardens
- Size wouldn’t be suitable for everyone
12. (22242) Greenworks 24V Cordless Pole Hedge Trimmer
It’s an extremely efficient device when it comes to trimming hedges. It comes with dual action blades that are capable of cutting branches with very little vibration. It comes with a very powerful lithium battery that lasts for a long period of time.
It is capable of cutting thick branches in a very quick time. The dual action blades offer extended reach to the user. This product comes with a firm grip that allows a strong hold to prevent accidents.
- Firm grip
- Dual action blades
- Good battery life
- Efficient but not very powerful
13. Ukoke (U01HT) 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This trimmer offers the perfect solution if you wish to keep your garden in shape. It comes with dual action blades which are made of solid steel and are very strong and durable. It comes with shaft extension features that offer easy control to the user and makes the process of trimming quite smooth and fast.
The extended handle helps in maintaining a safe distance between the hedges and the user. The 20V rechargeable lithium battery makes this device run for a long period of time. It’s a great guy under $70.
- Modern design
- Strong and durable build quality
- 20v rechargeable battery
- Not feature rich
14. (BEHT200) Hedge Trimmer from Black Decker
This trimmer comes with a very powerful motor that runs on 4 amp electricity. As a result, it generates enough power to get a variety of jobs done efficiently. 22-Inch dual action steel blade is one of the main features of this trimmer, which can easily cut through branches which are as much as 5/8 inches thick.
Different types of hedges and bushes can be easily trimmed. The rear handle allows the device to rotate in multiple angles. It comes with cord lock feature to prevent accidents.
- 22 inch blades
- Easy cuts through branches
- Cordless options may be more convenient
15. (HJ22HTE) Electric Hedge Green Trimmer from Sun Joe
With a powerful rechargeable battery, this particular trimmer can operate for several minutes on a single charge. It comes with 22 inches dual action stainless steel blades which cause very little amount of vibration during operation. The blade of this trimmer is capable of cutting thick branches and hedges efficiently.
It would be the best hedge trimmer for you if you are looking to trim your shrubs, hedges and bushes. The full wrap handle offers a firm grip on the machine, and its light weight makes it easy for you to handle and carry around.
- 22 inch dual action blades
- Firm grip
- Light weight design
- Not the most powerful option here
16. (LHT2240CFF) Black+Decker 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This trimmer comes with a very powerful motor that is capable of generating enough force to cut through 3/4 inches of thickness. It comes with strong and durable 22 inch dual blades that offer optimum performance with minimum vibration. The blades are sharp enough to cut through almost all kinds of bushes and hedges.
It can be adjusted into multiple different angles for vertical as well as horizontal maneuverability. The battery charge indicator indicates the level of battery in the device, so that you can plan your tasks accordingly. Definitely a great buy under $100.
- 22 inch dual blade
- Good choice in the budget
- Durable product
- Battery life can be better
17. (22232) 24V Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Greenworks
This trimmer comes with a power lithium battery that generates 24 volts of power and offers an extended run time. It generates very less amount of vibration due to its 22 inches dual action blade. It is capable of cutting branches which are as thick as 5/8 inches.
It offers a solid grip which makes it easier for the user to maneuver around. The fact that it is very light in weight makes it easy to handle and carry around. It offers smooth and effortless trimming of the thickest of hedges and bushes.
- Solid grip
- 22 inch dual action blades
- Smooth trimming
- Charge times can be better
18. (LHT341FF) Black+Decker 40V Cordless Hedge Trimmer
This trimmer comes with an anti-vibration structure that makes it easier for the user to work with thick hedges and bushes. It has thick and strong blades that offer accurate and precision cutting. This trimmer comes with multiple cushioning, and hence is very comfortable to handle.
Besides, the 24 inch dual action blade offers smooth and precise cutting of the hedges that are 3/4 inches in diameter.
- 24 inch dual action blades
- Anti vibration structure
- Comfortable to handle
- Features not impressive
19. (WG261) 20V Cordless Hedge Trimmer from Worx
With 20V lithium chargeable batteries, this trimmer can go on for a long period of time. The fact that it is light weighted makes it easier for the user to move it around. The blades offer 22 inches of cutting range to cut the hedges with precision.
It comes with a D grip handle which makes it easy to handle in different angles. The dual action blades offer fine and precision cutting of the hedges and bushes cleanly and quickly. Minimal vibration prevents pain and fatigue after the job is done.
Definitely it is a great buy within $80.
- D grip handle
- Minimal vibration
- 22 inch blades cutting range
- Runtime not impressive
20. (BEHT150) Black Decker Hedge Trimmer
This particular trimmer is known for causing very less amount of vibration and noise while it is in full flow. It comes with a 3.2 amp motor, which generates enough power to cut through 5/8 inches of thickness. It is a compact and light weighted machine, which is the perfect option if you want to keep your garden in shape.
It comes with cord lock feature that prevents any unexpected unplugging during operation.
- Cord lock feature
- Compact shape
- Light weight trimmer
- Not a very powerful motor
So, these are some of the best hedge clippers available in the market. What makes them so special is the fact that they come with all the latest and modern features to make the work of trimming easy and comfortable for you.
Apart from these, there are various other brands which are available in the market. You may have a look at the online stores in order to find out what other options you have.
Common Features Of Modern Hedge Trimmers
When it comes to the best hedge trimmer available in the market these days, there are a few common features that you can look out for. Some of them are as follows:
1. Tooth Extensions: Tooth extensions ensure that there is enough distance maintained between the blades and your body. This helps in minimizing the chances of any accidents.
2. Cordless: Most of the modern day hedge trimmers are cordless, which makes them quite flexible and easier to use.
3. On Lock: The on lock mechanism ensures that the trimmer can be used for a long period of time without disruption, as it eliminates the need for you to hold it down throughout the entire process.
4. Dual Switches: With dual switches, you need to use both your hands to operate the device, which adds to the safety.
5. Wraparound Handle: These types of handles offer a firm and solid grip, which makes it easier for you to work with the trimmer.
6. Off Lock: The off lock system is important, as it can prevent the machine from being turned on accidentally. If you have kids around, then this is one feature that you need to look for while buying a hedge trimmer.
7. Warranty: A good product always comes with an extended warranty period. This is one important aspect which you need to take into consideration while buying a hedge trimmer.
8. Cord lock: This is a feature that would lock your cord during operation, so that the device does not gets unplugged accidentally.
Tips For Using A Hedge Trimmer
There are a couple of important things that you need to be aware of while using a hedge trimmer. Here are some of them:
1. Check the weather. You should avoid using a hedge trimmer, especially those which are run by electricity, in wet weather conditions. The electric parts should never be exposed to wet conditions, as it can lead to electrocution or short circuit.
2. Check the working area. It is very important for you to ensure that the area where you are planning to work on is safe from all respects. You need to make sure that while the trimming work is on, you don’t have your pets or children nearby, as they can cause serious injuries to themselves or to others.
3. Appropriate safety gears and clothing is essential. Working with hedge trimmers can prove to be quite dangerous if you don’t take proper precautions. The most important thing that you need to take into consideration is the fact that you have a firm grip on the ground.
Wearing non-slip shoes can help. Besides, it is also very important to wear goggles to protect your eyes. Using gloves while trimming is absolutely essential too to avoid any injury.
4. When you are all set to go, the trimming work begins! Make sure that the trimmer is firmly gripped with both your hands and maintain a safe distance from the hedge.
Now it’s time to turn on the power. The best way to cut the hedge is by following a circular motion in the bottom up direction. It would help you in sweeping the branches and also would also offer you clear visibility as you cut through them.
5. Being methodical is the key. Never make the mistake of rushing through the process, as you can end up damaging the vegetation. Besides, there are also chances of inflicting injury to yourself. Therefore, it is very important to take your time and move in a methodical manner. Move slowly if you are a newbie.
6. Once the trimming is done, it is absolutely important for you to make sure that the area is cleaned and all the debris is removed from the hedge trimmer. While you are cutting the hedges, your trimmer is going to get covered with dirt and different types of suspended particles.
In order to make sure that the device runs for a long period of time, never forget to clean the blades once you are done with the trimming job.
It needs to me mentioned once again that using a hedge trimmer can prove to be quite dangerous, especially if you do not take proper precautionary measures. Besides, in order to ensure that the work is done in an efficient manner, following the mentioned tips can prove to be quite useful.
Steps To Maintain A Hedge Trimmer
No matter how expensive the device is, in order to make sure that it serves you for a long period of time, you need to ensure that it is being maintained properly. Here are the steps you must follow when it comes to maintaining your hedge trimmer:
1. The first thing you need to do is to lay the hedge trimmer on a flat surface. Then use a pair of pliers to release the bolt which holds the blades together.
2. Then it is time to clamp the blade. You can use a vice to get this done. This will ensure that the blades don’t slip while you are working on them.
3. With the help of a metal filler, from the bottom to top direction, slide the length of the blade up.
4. Once you have sharpened the blades, you can test the edges by using a piece of paper. Push the paper gently under a blade; it should tear with a very little force.
5. Once you feel that the blades have sharpened enough, you can apply a few drops of linseed oil to fabricate them.
6. Make sure to repeat the entire process with all the blades.
If you follow these steps on a regular basis, your hedge trimmer will last long with optimum performance delivery.
Choosing the best hedge trimmer can be a difficult task, as there are so many different options available in the market. In order to make sure that you have chosen the best one, make sure to go through the user reviews properly and don’t hesitate to ask questions, if you have any.